Pregnancy can be a very exciting time for expectant mothers. However, it can also be a time when many discomforts arise. One of the most common complaints during pregnancy is back pain. One way to help relieve back pain is to use a pregnancy pillow. Pregnancy pillows are designed to support the body and help alleviate some of the pressure that can cause back pain.
There are many different types of pregnancy pillows available on the market. Some are specifically designed for use during pregnancy, while others can be used after pregnancy as well. In this guide, we will take a look at how to use pregnancy pillows for back pain. Also, we will discuss how to maintain your pillow.
How Pregnancy Causes Back Pain?
Pregnancy is often accompanied by back pain, which can be caused by a number of factors. The growing uterus puts pressure on the spine and pelvis, which can lead to pain in the lower back. It can also cause the pelvis to tilt forward, which can lead to pain in the lower back and hips. The additional weight of the baby and the changes in your body can also contribute to back pain.
Additionally, as the pregnancy progresses and the baby grows, the center of gravity shifts forward, putting additional strain on the back. Hormonal changes during pregnancy can also cause the joints to loosen, which can lead to pain. Also, as the pregnancy progresses, the ligaments that support the spine loosen, which can also lead to pain.
How To Use A Pregnancy Pillow For Back Pain
While a pregnancy pillow can’t solve all of your back pain problems, it can definitely help. There are many different ways to use a pregnancy pillow for back pain relief. Here are a few of the most popular methods:
- Sleeping on your left side is often recommended during pregnancy. This can help to improve circulation and reduce back pain. A pregnancy pillow can help you to stay in this position comfortably through the night. The pillow will support your back and belly, which can take some of the pressure off of your back.
- If you find that sleeping on your side isn’t comfortable, or if you tend to roll onto your back during the night, a pregnancy pillow can still help. You can use the pillow to prop up your head and shoulders, which can take some of the pressure off of your back.
- If you’re experiencing pain in your lower back, a pregnancy pillow can be a great way to get relief. You can place the pillow under your knees to take some of the pressure off of your back. This can also help to improve circulation and reduce swelling in your feet and ankles.
- If you’re having trouble sleeping due to back pain, a pregnancy pillow can help you get the rest you need. The pillow can be used to prop up your head and shoulders, which can make it easier to breathe and reduce the pain in your back.
- If you’re experiencing round ligament pain, a pregnancy pillow can help. The pillow can be placed between your legs to take the pressure off of your ligaments. This can also help to improve circulation and reduce swelling.
You may experiment with different positions and methods to find the one that works best for you. You may also want to talk to your doctor about other ways to reduce back pain during pregnancy.
How To Take Care Of A Pregnancy Pillow For Back Pain
Here are a few tips on how to take care of your pregnancy pillow for back pain:
- Wash it regularly. It is important to keep your pillow clean, especially if you are using it for your back. Washing it once a week should be enough. It is done to kill the bacteria that might be present on the pillow.
- Use a mild detergent. Using a harsh detergent might damage the fabric of your pillow. Choose a mild detergent instead to avoid this problem. This type of detergent is also gentle on your skin.
- Don’t use bleach. Bleach is a strong chemical that can damage the fabric of your pillow. It can also cause irritation to your skin. If you must use bleach, make sure to dilute it first before using it on your pillow.
- Rinse it well. Make sure to rinse off all the soap from your pillow. Leaving soap on your pillow can cause irritation to your skin.
- Dry it completely. Make sure to dry your pillow completely before using it again. Drying it in the sun is a good way to get rid of any bacteria that might be present on the pillow.
- Do not iron it. Ironing your pillow can damage the fabric. If you must iron it, make sure to use a low setting.
- Store it in a cool and dry place. Make sure to store your pillow in a cool and dry place when you’re not using it. This will help keep it in good condition for longer.
A pregnancy pillow can be a great way to get relief from back pain during pregnancy. There are many different ways to use the pillow, and you may need to experiment to find the one that works best for you. Maintaining your pillow and storing it properly can also help to extend its lifespan. Enjoy your pregnancy and don’t let back pain ruin it!
I am John Crosby, the founder and author of back backpaincareguides.com. I have been dealing with chronic back pain for almost eight years and have made it my mission to help people who are also suffering from this debilitating condition through my blog. I want to share my knowledge and experience about this condition so that others can find relief from their back pain. I believe that by being open and honest about my struggles, I can inspire others to live better and more fulfilling life.